Colombia's Gilinski Family Pledges $48 Million for Cali's Recovery

Colombia's wealthiest family will donate COP150,000 million — roughly US$48 million — to rebuild hospitals and schools in Cali after the magnitude 7.4 earthquake that struck on 10 August, President Abelardo de la Espriella announced on Sunday.

The president said he received the news in a phone call with Jaime Gilinski and his wife, Raquel, and praised the family's 'extraordinary gesture of solidarity'. The funds are earmarked for health and education infrastructure in the capital of Valle del Cauca, one of the cities hardest hit by the earthquake, but the president did not name the hospitals or schools that will benefit or explain how the money will be channelled.

The earthquake, with its epicentre in San José del Palmar, Chocó, damaged about 30% of the facilities at Hospital Universitario del Valle, one of Cali's main medical centres, as authorities continue to compile a full damage assessment.

The 68-year-old Gilinski was born in Cali and heads Forbes' ranking of Colombia's richest people, with an estimated fortune of US$14.7 billion. He owns GNB Sudameris and chairs the Latin American food conglomerate Grupo Nutresa. The pledge follows a separate COP100,000 million donation announced by Grupo Santo Domingo, moving the business response from emergency supplies toward the more complex phase of infrastructure reconstruction.

What the Gilinski Pledge Signals for Colombia's Reconstruction Effort

Why the Gilinski family's pledge is aimed at Cali

Jaime Gilinski's birth in Cali and his attendance at President de la Espriella's inauguration in the city on 7 August provide obvious local context for the donation. The family's commitment is therefore more than a distant corporate relief payment: it signals that a prominent business family is publicly tying its name to the recovery of its home city. That said, no formal agreement has been published, so the announcement should be read as a pledge rather than a completed transfer.

The missing execution details create the real risk

The president disclosed the total amount but not the recipient institutions or the disbursement mechanism. That gap matters because earthquake reconstruction requires procurement, contracting and auditing controls, and the source text itself notes that the infrastructure phase poses additional challenges in execution and control of resources. Without a named channel, the public cannot yet assess whether the money will reach the most damaged facilities — including Hospital Universitario del Valle, which reported damage to around 30% of its installations.

A broader shift from emergency aid to reconstruction finance

Grupo Santo Domingo had already announced COP100,000 million for emergency attention and reconstruction, and the Gilinski pledge now reinforces the move from food, water and basic supplies toward replacing damaged buildings. For the government, the advantage is meaningful private funding; the challenge is that larger, slower infrastructure projects require clearer governance than immediate humanitarian aid, and neither pledge has yet disclosed the operational details needed to monitor delivery.

What Cali Residents and Donors Should Watch as the Funds Are Allocated

Practical points for people and institutions following the announced reconstruction funds:

  • For Cali residents and administrators: The announcement did not identify which hospitals or schools will receive the US$48 million. Because Hospital Universitario del Valle has reported 30% damage, local stakeholders can reasonably press for a public list of beneficiaries and a named government channel before funds are committed.
  • For hospital and education groups: If your facility was damaged in the 10 August earthquake, use the absence of a published beneficiary list to register your needs now; the only confirmed detail so far is the amount, not the allocation.
  • For corporate donors: Grupo Santo Domingo's COP100,000 million pledge and the Gilinski donation mark a shift from emergency supplies to reconstruction finance. Any new corporate contribution should include a named execution and oversight arrangement, because the Gilinski announcement did not set one.